Department: Department of Psychology
Status: Faculty rank; tenure track
Time commitment: Full time, 11 month faculty appointment
Start date: July 1, 2022
Psychology is a vibrant, rapidly growing major situated within the School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Science at Fresno Pacific University. Our faculty members are known for their engagement with students and communities. The psychology program encourages scholarly research that challenges and empowers students to engage with people who are at-risk, underserved, or marginalized.
The Department of Psychology is looking for applicants with skills and interests consistent with undergraduate instruction at a liberal arts university. The program emphasizes general knowledge in psychology, preparation of students for graduate school, interdisciplinary integration, and applied research.
- Pursue an active scholarly agenda.
- Mentor and advise psychology majors (as well as general education students).
- The faculty member may teach courses such as Introduction to Psychology, Psychology of Personality, Research Methods, Community Psychology, Cross-Cultural Psychology, and Counseling.
- Demonstrate commitment to departmental, university, and community service.
- Doctorate (or ABD) in Psychology; preference will be given to applicants specializing in clinical, organizational, cross-cultural or community psychology. In some circumstances, candidates with teaching experience and a master’s degree may be considered with the expectation of completion of a doctoral degree in Psychology.
- Desire to mentor undergraduate research in the discipline.
- Commitment to undergraduate instruction.
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement.
- Ability to work with students, staff, and faculty in a collegial environment.
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
- Commitment to dialogue between psychology and Christian faith.
- Demonstrated college-level teaching ability.
- Evidence of scholarly achievement (quantitative or qualitative).
- Membership in a Mennonite Brethren or Anabaptist congregation, or affiliation with a historic peace church.
Dependent on qualifications and experience and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA).
A faculty application is available at fpu.edu/visitors/careers - the link is in the job description on the FPU website.
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vita, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:Ron Herms, Ph.D.School of HRSS, Box 2301Fresno Pacific University1717 S. Chestnut AvenueFresno, CA 93702OR: email HRSS@fresno.edu
Fresno Pacific University is the only accredited Christian university founded in the Central Valley. FPU connects every student’s untapped potential with unlimited opportunity for professional, personal and ethical growth. FPU offers undergraduate, graduate and seminary programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation to more than 3,500 traditional and adult students on the main campus in southeast Fresno and regional campuses in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 8,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, and is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 47 percent. FPU is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. Both U.S. News and Washington Monthly include FPU on their “Best Value” and “Best Bang for the Buck” lists, U.S. News places it at number 13 in its category for student social mobility and Money has ranked it at number 11 among 50 Best Colleges for Transfer Students. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific Idea here.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.